hey y'all, it's adam!
I've got two topics I want to cover in this post: 1) bitsy module/extension research and 2) your bitsy #1 nuisance!
module/extension research 💾
in my post on the bitsy 8.0 beta, I said I'd write more about what I'm thinking about for a potential bitsy module/extension system, so that's what I'm going to write about today ✨
I've been researching this topic as I've had time to over the last few months. I'm deliberately taking it slowly since I think that if I go ahead with this feature, it will be one of the most bitsy's most important updates. I want to make sure I've considered it carefully!
I currently think there are two fairly distinct types of extensions I'd want to support:
- editor extensions: these would allow folks to create their own tools that could be installed next to the default tools like the paint tool and room tool
- engine extensions: modify the behavior of the bitsy game engine that you download with your game
and I have some design goals for the feature:
- easy to install/uninstall: I want the extensions to be friendly for bitsy authors of all levels of experience
- easy to share: ideally extension authors should be able to package an extension as a single file that could be distributed wherever they choose
- compatible with future versions of bitsy: if extensions break after every bitsy version update, I think that will require too much maintenance to be practical for most people to write them
the last goal is probably the trickiest, since it implies some kind of API that would remain stable between bitsy versions, which is something I've never had to worry about before. but I also consider it very important: I care a lot about preservation and portability, and it's always been a high priority to me that bitsy games from prior versions should be able to be opened in newer versions. one of the big risks of an extension system like this is that it could make bitsy games more brittle and prone to bugs.
anyway, that's what I'm thinking so far - thanks for reading! I'll post more updates on this topic as I continue to research and experiment ☺️
bitsy nuisance open discussion! 🐛
this is something new I want to try: what's your #1 most annoying bug or usability issue that you encounter while using bitsy?
I'd like to take some time fix the little things such as bugs, UI, or general usability issues you run into regularly. let me know in the comments which one bugs you the most and I will try to tackle a couple for the next update (7.3). (the goal for this discussion is to keep it to small things, so please avoid suggesting major new features like a music/sound system or other major engine changes - thanks!)